Wednesday 13 June 2012

Spotlight on Nik Burns


Nik Burns

I draw my inspiration from a passion for the fantastical.

The work that I create has an element of mystery, it is my intention for the viewer to be drawn in by the work and ask the questions what and why?

These small scale sculptural pieces are informed by my long held love of mysterious ship wrecks, a love which has fascinated me since childhood.  What I achieve in my work is the illusion of an organic occurrence to a man-made form, creating a ‘life history’. The desire to create forms like this stems from my interest in fantasy and science fiction genres in particular the work of HG Wells and JRR Tolkien.

These pieces were formed from sections of copper sheet which were then welded together. The surfaces are treated using chemical processes, giving a textured patina. The surfaces are endlessly varied as the processes involved allows for little intervention once it has begun. 




No comments:

Post a Comment